PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 300 Qantas pilots to get the chop ???
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2014, 17:32
The Professor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“low pilot wages and adverse safety outcomes were in no way related”

Which market are you referring to when formulating this conclusion?

“This despite the findings of the final report into Colgan Air Flight 3407.”

The 46 NTSB findings of the Colgan crash made no reference to low pilot salary contributing to the crash.

A quick look at the last decade of aircraft accidents and write offs here in the US indicate quite the opposite where the majority of events have occurred at carriers in the highest percentile of pilot wages and benefits. SWA/AAL/FDX/UPS.

“You simply need to accept…..”

No, I don’t simply need to accept anything and neither should you. Your opinion should be formed following research and analysis, not following the urging of someone to “simply accept”.

“….pilot pay is not a driver of airline success.”

Correct, I have not suggested this to be the case in all situations. Qantas will struggle to survive in its present form even with radical labor reform. It will fair a little better but will not guarantee its success. But the business still has imperatives that include cutting labor costs; no responsible business manager would overlook this, especially in a legacy carrier where there is plenty of room to move. As I have said before, the accountants at Qantas would be looking at Jetstar and asking: what exactly are we getting for our dollar that is worth paying such a premium for?

“I understand you desperatelywant to connect high wages for pilots with the problems at QF”

No, I don’t. I want you to understand that labor costs at an airline are vitally important especially at legacy carriers. This is NOT simply my opinion.

Ramius/Australo/hempy/ratpoison.

If you cant put forth an intelligent contribution then why don’t you just sit out for a while?

Last edited by The Professor; 25th May 2014 at 18:17. Reason: double sentence