PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilatus PC24
Thread: Pilatus PC24
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2014, 05:00
Howard Hughes
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are talking about a single pilot operation, where the single pilot is a bleary-eyed 25 year old, flying his first jet, on a back-of-the-clock operation into a 1,100 metre gravel strip.
FGD135, with all due respect you have been pushing this misconception about inexperience since page one.

Firstly your average RFDS is pilot is not 25 years old, in fact the average would be more likely closer to double that and we come from a variety of backgrounds, including many with corporate jet time, regionals, RAAF and at least one ex 747 captain that I am aware of. The RFDS organisation (under it's many guises) is undergoing significant internal change Australia wide and will be ready to meet the many changes under the new CASR's.

I'm fairly sure as we move forward the RFDS will use less airports, however these airports will need to be better equipped and suitable for the aircraft types in operation at the time. If we are serious about providing the best medical service possible, jet aircraft are an inevitable evolution, particularly in WA where all of the 'critical first hour' (and then some) is taken up just getting to the scene.

I'm fairly sure RFDS (WA) will not undertake the process lightly and when the time comes to transition to jets there will be a significant experience in place to pass on their knowledge to those pilots who may fit your ideal of an RFDS pilot!

Cheers, HH