PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin Carry On
Thread: Cabin Carry On
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2014, 11:14
RampDog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry guys I've just got back on. KR, you're right but there are 2 ways to look at it. Catching up when something happens is a given, we can't let them get points on us, but staying ahead of the game is what is actually required to avoid problems. The regulations have been created so that there is a consistent reference to what is and isn't permitted. Unfortunately pax sometimes end up being somewhat inconvenienced by inconsistent rulings that arise when security personnel apply their own judgement to something that is generally clearly defined somewhere in "telephone books" full of regulations.
It is a mixture of experience, subject knowledge and dedication that enables a disciplined operator to make correct and consistent determinations. These skills aren't always there or well developed, and when that's combined with a lack of customer service skills, then we all know who walks away disgruntled and very unhappy.
The key to consistency is thorough and constant training of people with the right aptitude to fulfil a quite complex mission. In my opinion companies generally are not interested in paying for a better standard, they only want to pay for whatever meets the minima, that's never going to change in this competitive (aviation) world!
In the end my only advice is, when it comes to anything that you may be unsure of, just ring or email your airline of choice and in most cases (be assured 100% of the time with QF ) you will get a clear determination before you get to the airport. The moral is "Better safe than sorry", the onus is you!