PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 300 Qantas pilots to get the chop ???
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:30
The Professor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“when the union puts a good deal on the table like has been quoted numerous times on this thread by the former head of AIPA”

So what exactly do you think is a “good deal”? Salary and benefits benchmarked against regional competitors? Lets hear it!

“Like 45 years without industrial action?”

The lack of industrial action merely highlights my point that Qantas has been held to ransom by its highly unionized staff and the short sighted management have simply kicked the can down the road. Qantas, like most legacy carriers, could afford the high labor costs in the past, especially as a Government airline in a market with little effective competition in a world with few skilled labor alternatives. For a long time it has been a fight not worth persuing with too much vigour. This has changed but Qantas labor practices have not yet adapted to the new world.

“I think its fair to say that the opinion of air and ground crews re the management is largely unanimous.”

A perfect example of group think and a recipe for disaster.

“Where are comparisons for completely screwed up aircraft choices, massive fuel burn losses and stacked management on unbelievable salaries and parking new aircraft around the place?”

These comparisons are being made over on the website called Professional Airline Managers Rumour Network. I assume your argument is that labor should be left alone until all other facets of the business are tip top? This is not a reasonable expectation of how business works.

“Why this fixation with salaries . . . .”

Because its where management can reduce costs and its one of the few places an airline can gain comparative advantage.

“ . . . which are 100% line ball with what you will get around the world. And I include Easy/Ryan etc in that group.”

No, they are not in line with competitors within the same labor market. They are significantly higher with greater inefficiencies. Try explaining pattern protection to a pilot from CA. Try explaining consequential training costs to a pilot from SQ.

“Who are we going to pick on then? Those Tiger pilots have it so good?”

Again, labor costs at Tiger are not the issue.

“Its not just the pilots.”

Very true indeed, it’s the labor costs of the company, top to bottom.

The sad thing about the debate on this thread is that most of those denying the need for labor reform at Qantas think they are arguing against opinion when they are actually arguing against reality. Qantas management and staff are fighting the same labor reform battle that every legacy carrier has fought or will fight, except for those many legacy carriers that have gone out of business.