PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 300 Qantas pilots to get the chop ???
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2014, 11:06
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Pilot salaries, even when much higher than average, are minimally significant to the company bottom line.
The longer we keep telling ourselves that the longer it will take to address the issue. Some of the figures I've heard of in the last few days for A380 crew- hard data- are simply unjustifiable. (As a aside some of the numbers for 744 are also on the high side but I've said that since my first pay as a 744 F/O way back in 2006). These days the pay- particularly on the dugong- is NOT on par with our competition. Not with EK, not with SQ, not with any of the other UAE carriers, not with US carriers flying similar metal, or Cathay with similar metal. It's not reflective of the work/ life balance, it's not reflective of the responsibility, it's not reflective of the work rate compared to other crew on other aircraft types within the same mainline group.

As for it making a difference to the bottom line, try $75-100 million dollars difference.

We nee to realise that it is these conditions that will result in some crew being demoted and other crew not seeing promotion for a long time. We have been part of creating this problem and we need to be part of the solution. Even things like having different pay rates between aircraft (and thus encouraging changing of types to maximise earning potential) is part of the problem.

The solutions and changes required are significant and will involve pain for all of us. A bit like the budget though, this had been a long time in the making and the longer we put off taking our medicine, the sicker we will be when we finally realise the drastic action that had to be taken.

I'm happy to expand further but that'll do after a long day. I do have a juicy rumour but I'll leave that for tomorrow when I'm not so buggered.