PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 300 Qantas pilots to get the chop ???
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2014, 23:09
Australopithecus

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
A word on relative pay rates for the idiots out there...

Reading the missives recently posted by the idiotti like the genitalia-obsessed ballsdeep made me wonder what particular brand of drug it is that they take? Obviously it is not truth serum.

I asked a Seattle based Delta Airlines 330 captain about wages. He makes approximately $250,000/ year US. Parse that out, bitches: his take-home, exclusive of allowances, is $177,500 US. An average line captain on a QF330 makes circa $300,000. After tax that is around $173,500, which is around 163K US. The current purchasing power factor between our two countries is 1.5. (!)

(world bank data here): PPP conversion factor (GDP) to market exchange rate ratio | Data | Table

So, the Delta pilot (and this is broadly the same for widebody twins in the US) makes 62% more fun tickets that I do.

The lesson is that high property prices, and high taxes, are wildly inflationary, and hence result in very high comparative wage demands.

(I do understand that Australia is a lot better place to live than the US, but it is not 62% better, compounding)