PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should Average Pilot Experience Levels Of Each Airline Be Public?
Old 17th May 2014, 09:32
lifeafteraviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what do you do with a legacy airline that has it's junior crew flying the little Fokkers and Embraers whilst the more experienced crew progress to the heavier metal?
See there are no airlines like that in the USA. Other than JetBlue and USAirways operating E190s I can't think of any operator in the USA that operates RJs alongside Boeings or Airbus. Does anyone still fly Fokkers?

Maybe the OP had European airlines in mind? Except I thought he was an American working in China. In China they don't really move pilots from smaller planes to larger planes...they all pretty much stay in whatever they are assigned to.

Shows you that this idea will not work in any way or form.
Pretty much...but...

...if it did become an public issue and airlines really did have to compete for those top rankings...they may be inclined to back off the outsourcing model that's bringing their numbers down. Or, in the case of some other airlines (not in the USA) that bring very low time (and low paid) pilots into the larger equipment...to stop doing that. After all, no one airline will want to be labelled as having the least experienced pilots in their cockpits even if just by a small margin...just like they don't like having the oldest fleet in the country.

Actually I think such a ranking system would be very doable...maybe it's something Consumer Reports should publish a story on.