PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin Carry On
Thread: Cabin Carry On
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2014, 00:54
ThereISlifeafterQF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.....not just mini-tools......

Oh, this subject...... Now you got me started !!

I travel regularly out of Cairns International with CO2 cartridges (that I use for inflating my bike tyres when I have a flat) as I can't get them in the lovely country where I work. I always declare them at check-in (4 of each time, which is the limit), though often have to tell the check-in staff where to find the information in their IATA DG Quick Guide..... (some of them have it with them, but the rest either check with Ops, or just take my word for it). I should also point out that these cartridges are identical (thread fitting, contents) as those used in the aircraft life jackets (two cylinder types). OK, these ones are only 16 grams (about 30 ml) each - and they are not FAA-PMA approved parts - but are essentially identical (and are perfect for doing 20.11 training by the way !).

For convenience (of (in)security) I always have them in a mesh pocket on the outside of my bag - so it is clearly visitly going through the scanner. I have had every reaction from "Totally forbidden !" (which of course I argue, until they realise they are wrong !), through to them not being picked up at all ! (or they simply igonore them).

Lately they seem to have taken on a new "policy" of requiring that the cartridges "must be packed to prevent contact", which I have again argued with (in)security asking where on earth this "policy" information is written, until I relented and put each cylinder in a different pocket of my bag / jacket. After walking away into Duty Free I was then approached by the (in)security bloke who interrupts my perusing to show me a highlighted section of a webpage he had printed out, which stated "must be packed or packaged to prevent contact or damage", so I quizzed him where he got this "gem" of information, and notice that is a page from the QF website, so asked him "what the hell does the QF website information have to do with me ? - I'm flying PX !" (and even showed him my boarding pass, telling him to check with the company rep to verify I had declared them). A vacant look in response, and he wandered off to pester someone else coming through the scanner......

On my last departure...... same story: "must be packaged to prevent contact", so I offered to put each of them in a different pocket of my bag / jacket, etc., to be confronted with "Oh no, that won't suffice", where he then pulled out a zip-loc bag (the ones they have for undeclared LAG's) and instructed me to put them in there !! When I asked "what is that bag going to do ?" I was told that "it will protect you should they go off". I couldn't stop myself from laughing !!! I managed to satisfy him with my comment that "if they do go off in my pocket, then I deserve it"......

TILAQ