PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WHEN to do the IR
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2001, 00:41
Quarternion.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The man formally known as....

Cheers for your point....

Perhaps someone else can come in your point about the "twin" I/R having to be done 36 months after the ATPLs.

Can you or someone else can point out to me where in JAR it states that the I/R has to be done on a twin as opposed to a single to secure these exam credits. Indeed all it states is an I/R has to be achieved.

With regards to hours, checkout GID15 on the CAA website. 50hrs for a single I/R - (55 hrs for a twin I/R). Of which 20hrs can be done on a FNPT1 sim. You can have a 12hr discount for IMC if you have a CAA PPL. So If you are pretty current on singles and just done an IMC. You should be able to do the I/R in the minimum hours i.e. 18 hours airborne and 20 hours sim time. That equates to about £6000 (including the test flight & fee at some half decent schools). You will probably burn £6000 on twin flying alone if you go the other way. Remember, If you fail or partial, the costs are lower so the pressure on you is lower.

Admittedly the twin I/R is the bees knees, but if you want to go up to the twin I/R, all you do 5hrs twin training of which 3 hrs can be done in a sim + test (if you have a Multi engine rating 6-7 hrs twin) + test (approx 3hrs). Correct me if I'm wrong but that equates to less than 15 hrs if you do it the normal way. Now the chances of this being done are incredibly slim - but nothing is impossible.

I just don't see the point of doing a twin I/R and trying to keep it current, when you can make more use of a single I/R and its cheaper to keep current etc as I've stated before.

But, it all hinges on whether the single I/R will secure your credits. I'm pretty sure that this is a valid route. I'll put this to the CAA and get this straight from the horses mouth... might take a few weeks to get an answer though!!!!