PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should Average Pilot Experience Levels Of Each Airline Be Public?
Old 12th May 2014, 19:27
PENKO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you that training and ability is important. I don't believe that simulator training is a means to an end in itself. However much ability you have it is unlikely, with the low levels of experience which we are talking about i.e. Captain 2500 hours, F/O 250 hours, that you have seen sufficient. As an example I remember as an F/O with just under 3000 hours Making an approach to Bergamo, the ATIS gave cavok and so I was fat dumb and happy, passing about 1400' on the approach with me manually Flying we were passed a visibility of 400m. Never having seen an approach ban situation in real life and the fact that my mental capacity was eaten up somewhat by manual Flying, I would have continued but for the experienced Captain in the left seat.
You would probably not be sitting there fat dumb and happy if you were a 3000 hour captain faced with this situation. You cannot compare your 3000 hour self to other low hour captains. Merely switching seats changes your outlook on the situation...

Anyway. Many legacy airlines have very young and 'unexperienced' pilots, left AND right seat, on their short haul fleet. This is nothing new. They hire cadets who become short haul captains at the first opportunity. Been like this for ages..

What I see very clearly on the line is that a proper selection before a cadet starts flight training says ten times more than experience. I'm not discounting experience, but it is but one of many factors.