PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2014, 01:36
EllanVannin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but I too don't agree with the maths suggested. I took the plunge and left easyjet to join BA, and so am privy to the finer details of the pay scales of both outfits.

In addition to what has been mentioned already, there is a duty pay per hour away from base at BA. This is not fully taxable and results in roughly 500-800 pounds a month extra in take home pay (generally more on long haul than short haul).

My father in law is an experienced treasurer and chartered accountant. Prior to joining BA he crunched all the numbers for me (basic pay, fixed allowances, duty pay, bonuses, varying tax rates for different pay types, 34 point pay scale, higher pay for long haul vs short haul at BA, pension tax breaks etc etc), assuming a command at easyjet at circa 5 years, and BA at 25 years. This was based on DEP pay scales. With everything taken into account the career earnings came out very similar. Easyjet was roughly 5% ahead. That said, the current BA pension for new joiners pays in roughly 6 or 7 % more at BA than easyjet. So there's really not much in it.

Finance is only one part of the decision about whether BA is right for you. Frankly, you are not going to be on the breadline at either company. I agree with those that suggest it is not a clear cut decision these days but, if it is something that matters to you, I would say that I feel healthier and much less tired since I joined BA from easyjet. Consequently, I am much happier in my job and enjoy it more.

Horses for courses and all that.

Good luck to all those who decide to give the selection a go.

Last edited by EllanVannin; 10th May 2014 at 01:59.