PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infringements - General Aviation Report April 2014
Old 9th May 2014, 18:51
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
See: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/General...ril%202014.pdf

CESSNA 152
CONTINENTAL (TELEDYNE) USA
Other
Cruise
EGPH (EDI): Edinburgh
27/03/2014
Infringement of the Edinburgh CTA (Class D) by an aircraft squawking 'FIR lost'. Aircraft identified as a C152. Adverse Wx conditions involved. Appropriate ATC action taken.
While working as the radar controller I noticed a lost aircraft squawk (0030) enter the zone to the North without contact at 1347. Coordination with the tower was effected to stop departures and search action was initiated. The aircraft was working FIR who passed the details as a C152 that had transited the Edinburgh zone earlier (South to North) but had subsequently left my frequency. Once the aircraft was transferred to me, it quickly became apparent that the pilot had at best intermittent contact with the surface due to rapidly deteriorating weather conditions. General advice was given for the pilot to avoid high ground marked on the ATCSMAC to the North. Eventually I managed to get the pilot established Southbound with the intention of routing him South then Westbound towards their intended destination. This would keep terrain issue to a minimum as assist with the pilots navigation however while Southbound, a Southern IFR inbound aircraft suffered a lightning strike while working the TLA sector which set off the aircraft's ELT. On contact with me, this pilot reported the flight to be normal but was having trouble hearing me on the frequency. I therefore called for Radar 2 support and C152 was transferred to the FIN controller who handled the flight Westbound.
Supplementary 09/04/14:
When I had taken off from Cumbernauld the weather was good but as soon as I had turned from the Edinburgh Forth Road Bridge towards Newburgh, the weather was not looking great so I had to descend from 1,900ft to 900ft for visual contact. I could not fly further due to so much rain, wind and cloud. I then turned back from Balado/Loch Leven towards Edinburgh as I was surrounded by high terrain so Scottish Information 119.875 told me to get back with Edinburgh CTR, I then did and got back safely at Cumbernauld. The METAR and TAF was looking great but just a sudden weather change happened.