PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Here----Question
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2003, 11:42
zerozero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool How do I say this...

...without sounding like your dad?

Son, you've got a good head on your shoulders but don't screw up your life like I did.

Heh. Now that that's outta the way:

Look. How do you know college isn't for you? You've never been.

You probably think it's just like high school. Yes and no.

First of all, not all of the instructors hate the students.

Second, in college, there are more chicks than dudes.

Third: More chicks than dudes.

Fourth: It's a great opportunity to network. This is a benefit that's realized many years down the road--but look at it this way:

The main reason that most people aren't willing to invest the time or money in college is because of a perceived lack of any sort of return on that investment.

They always say, If I just take the money I'd spend on college and spend it on ratings I'd be employable much sooner.

That's a true statement, but it's really short-sighted, because at some point you're gonna encounter a wall where all of your experience won't get you any further. Only a degree will get you past that hump.

Now. As silly as it seems, a degree in economics or history or engineering or whatever, isn't going to help make you a better pilot--but the degree is going to be required for a very long time--as long as the supply exceeds the demand for pilots the requirements and competition will always be stiff.

But you say you just want to fly for a regional. Sure, you're 18 now, no wife or kids (probably) or house. A career at the regionals seems perfectly acceptable right now.

And right now it is acceptable.

But this industry is so dynamic there is no telling what it's going to look like in 10 years. Twenty years. In 40 years when you're starting to think about retirement, with kids who want to go to college, with a wife who wants to retire herself...where will you be with your high school education and 20,000 hours of flight time?

Where will you be? Forty years old, attending night school while working a full time job? Forget it!!

College can be a lot of garbage in/garbage out but it can also help to teach you time management skills; critical thinking; good study habits (crucial in airline groundschools where they use the "Take a Drink from the Firehose" method of teaching).

Time and money invested in higher education is never wasted.

Never.

Even if you were to be a "C" student in the Secretarial Arts Dept at your local college you would be a lot better off in the competition for very scarce airline jobs.

Don't be fooled: There are lowtimers getting jobs at the regionals even today.

But guess what? Nobody likes flying with them.

Nobody likes flying with a lowtimer in a fast turbine airplane when every minute counts--and that's when you're "on time"!!

When the flight is late you better have your ducks in a row and I mean RIGHT NOW. Right now, when it's dark; and you're tired; and the Capt is cussing...This is no time to ask what authorizes you to use lower than standard take off minima.

Huh? I thought there were no dumb questions especially when safety of flight is involved.

Think again. "No Dumb Questions" is a luxury only in college. Once you're on the line you need to have the answer before the Capt asks the question.

My advice to you, before I get off on a huge (I mean really huge) rant is:

1) Accept the fact that for the rest of your career you are essentially a professional student. Sure you'll have the opportunity to teach a little--but if you're not always learning then you're a "know-it-all" and it's time to get out of the business because Aviation will eat you alive.

2) Enroll yourself in the best technical degree program you can manage. If not technical, then who cares? Just get a four year degree. I know, I know...It's just an elitist carry-over from the military glory days...and that's just a relic from hundreds of years of naval tradition...but that's the way it works.

3) Once in college, work hard and play hard. You must reward your efforts: Swill wine, woo women, make lots of good friends--Friends for life. Friends that will help you out when this crazy industry takes its next nose dive.

4) Always encourge and inspire others to levels of performance they themselves didn't think they could attain.

Finally, I wish you peace and success.
Welcome to Pprune.
You'll learn a lot here.