PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do after 2nd application to AirServices (Australia)
Old 7th May 2014, 09:01
S.Bartfast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you failed to get into AirServices but you want to apply to Airways...
Yes, this is true

... in order to leave as soon as possible to go back to Oz...
This is not necessarily the case.

It's true that my first preference would have been to do the training here in Australia but we don't always gets what we wants. What I want is to be an air traffic controller and if I can do it in New Zealand then all well and good. My reason for asking about how the training differs is because I genuinely want to know what the differences are, not because I want to "love 'em and leave 'em" so to speak.

In terms of commitment (which is what I think your getting at) surely I've demonstrated commitment and by actually moving to NZ I would be demonstrating an even stronger commitment.

Or are you concerned about the investment in training...
With the air force there was a requirement to make a commitment of 7 years in order to be trained (which I was willing to do).
From memory it was something like 5 years with AirServices (which I would have gladly done).
I'm not sure what it would be with Airways (New Zealand) but given you actually pay for the course upfront I would assume the required service would have to be less. That being said though I could well spend the remainder of my career there.

It's air traffic control that I want to do, and lets face it, working a tower in NZ could well be more appealing than being posted to a dust bowl out the back of Burke anyhow.

To be honest I really don't mind where I work. It was a requirement when I applied with AirServices that I be willing to be posted to any tower in Australia. If it said I had to be willing to be posted to any tower in Australia or New Zealand I would have agreed to that too, and would have been happy to have been posted to NZ.

I hope that Airways will recognise this in the interview stage (should you get that far)...
Why are you guys all being so nasty?
I'm trying to workout what possibilities there might be for me but it seems as though I invite an attack every time I open my mouth.
What's this about?