PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do after 2nd application to AirServices (Australia)
Old 7th May 2014, 02:53
S.Bartfast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Charlie, that's the kind of information I'm after.

You could try Airways, but beware, their recruitment process is almost identical.
Perhaps I'm being naive here but being all but identical actually seems like a good thing to me.
I basically made it all the way through before but had no idea how to interview, which is something I now know how to do, so I'm thinking being the same would be a good thing.

While they won't be able to specifically tell you that you've not been accepted due to your age, it may well be the case.
Yes, this is true.
Perhaps I could call them and ask clearly about this, raising the concern my self. I know there bound by equal opportunity carry on and so forth but I don't want to waste their time any more than I want to waste mine, so hopefully they will give me a straight answer.

Having ATC trainees your age makes them very nervous. It's not about how many years of service they will get from you. It is about the ability of people to 'learn new tricks' as they get older.
And thank you for saying so Charlie, this is also something I am concious of as well.

I of course am very confident that I'm capable of learning and performing the duties required and clearly wouldn't be going through this process if I thought otherwise. I mean, I most certainly do not want to be responsible for putting the safety of others in jeopardy any more than anyone else does. I am also aware that people have a tendency to overestimate there own abilities in such matters but what can I say, I think I'll be up to it. If it turns out that, despite my testing well, I do have a deficiency in terms of 'learning new tricks' than this will surely become apparent and then well what can I say, I guess I'll become another statistic and go home with my tail between my legs . As I say I think this unlikely but as you point out convincing others (including yourself) that I am worthy of an opportunity is the challenge.

Perhaps I should start another thread with this question but I am wondering how the Australian and New Zealand courses compare. You say the selection process is very similar but I am wondering how similar the training itself is. For example the Aust. course is 14 months (for en route) where as the NZ course is only 6 months followed by on the job training. Presumably both institutions recognise the other's qualification but I would be interested to know how they differ.

All the best,
And thank you for your responses so far,
Slarti.