PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew Decision Making
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2014, 11:55
GAZ45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crew Decision Making

Hello all.

I am not sure if this is the relevant section in which to post this question, so I assume the post may be moved by moderators. Anyway..

I am currently undertaking my ATPLs, and particularly during the MET, and Human Performance sections I became curious about how the following situation in the flight deck may unfold.

I recently watched a video found here: This will be a full stop landing! - YouTube that posed many questions to me as an aspiring airline pilot. This approach looks like an example of incredibly poor decision making in my eyes (correct me if I am wrong).

My question is, as a relatively inexperienced FO, if a captain wanted to fly this approach with a severe thunderstorm hovering over the airport, I would not be comfortable to continue to do so - particularly if you had to perform a go-around on short final you would be forced to climb directly into a thunderstorm cloud.
How is this situation dealt with in the cockpit? It posed more questions to me if this example was brought up in an interview situation, and I was asked how I would deal with a captain who wanted to progress with an approach like this?

Lets say the captain wanted to go ahead with this, what would be the protocol in terms of an FO not wanting to progress? Lets say there is an alternate airport available with better weather conditions, and I, as a relatively new FO was not comfortable and expressed this to the captain but he ignored my concerns. What next?

Ultimately I understand the operation of the aircraft is the responsibility of the captain, he has final say. But at what point is it appropriate to commandeer control from the captain and say no?

I'd be very interested to know what everyones thoughts are because I feel as a potential low hours FO, the protocol for a situation like this hasn't really been covered (at least not yet anyway!).