PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do after 2nd application to AirServices (Australia)
Old 6th May 2014, 09:47
S.Bartfast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three sides to every tale, yours, theirs, and the truth.
Too true
I think all sides are in agreement here though.
(BTW, I'm not trying to discuss a dispute I'm having, I'm trying to lay out the position I'm in)

One notes that you mention the medical ruling but not what the reason for it's being used to turn you down...
I didn't want to fill the post with too much of my own ramblings but it was because I'd had migraines in my adolescence.

I had suffered migraines between the ages of about 12 and 15. Without going into too much detail the conditions say having had any more than one migraine in your life could potentially be enough to exclude you. The migraines I did have were during my adolescence (essentially during puberty) and it has now been 20 years since I've had one. Unfortunately ATC is considered to be part of "Air Crew" and air crew have the strictest medical requirements of all sections in the Australian Defence Force. When I appealed the ruling I included a report from a Neurologist in which the doctor said that I posed little to no risk and that I was at no higher risk to further attacks than anyone else in my age bracket etc. Of course having medical rulings overturned is very difficult at the best of times and unsurprisingly my appeal was not successful. But there you have it.

even in your reasoning, you are stating outright yourself that in and of yourself, you don't have what it takes to pass the interview with highly specific training.
I don't quite follow.
Did you mean: "you don't have what it takes to pass the interview without highly specific training"?

Anyway, yeah, I interviewed very poorly. I asked about it after and got quite a bit of detailed and specific feedback about my interview, for which I am most grateful. As it was I scored 1 out of 5 on each and every question .

They asked questions like "Tell us about a time where you've had difficulty dealing with someone of a different culture and what did you do to resolve the situation", which is a perfectly fine question. However I gave really shallow and useless answers like "I get along well with all manor of people and have never had trouble dealing with people of different cultures". Of course I'm summarising my answer here but essentially the feedback I got was that I didn't really answer the questions with any depth, which is true.

To be honest I really didn't have answers to most of the questions they asked and I was really struggling to come up with things to say. Since then I have had other interviews and learnt how to answer such questions much more fully.
I think many people would struggle to interview well with out training/experience and I don't think there is anything wrong with seeking assistance with interview technique, I just wish I had done it before

If they've got a choice of someone who walks the interview or someone who failed at it twice already...
Sure, but by the same token I have also managed to pass the psychometric evaluations. I'm not trying to say someone who interview well didn't deserve there position I'm saying I excelled in every round, right up to the last where my interview skills/knowledge let me down, which is a problem I have now addressed.

Anyway, all this is by the by...
I'm not trying to say they did the wrong thing and convince you all that I have been mistreated.
I accept where I am at and am wanting to know what options I have from here going forward - or are you saying that really I'm out of options and need to give up?