PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do after 2nd application to AirServices (Australia)
Old 6th May 2014, 05:16
S.Bartfast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do after 2nd application to AirServices (Australia)

I want more than anything to be an air traffic controller and I have wanted to be for most of my adult life.
Unfortunately I have had two unsuccessful applications with AirServices and they're not willing to accept a third application from me. The web form will allow me to fill in all the details including a response to the question:
Please detail why you believe your application with Airservices Australia would be successful this time
(Which becomes available if you say you have already applied twice)

The response I gave was:
Although I tested very well and have tremendous desire to succeed as an air traffic controller previously I interviewed poorly, particularly in relation to behavioural questions.

My reason for performing poorly at the interviews was not due to my not being suitable for the position but rather due to me not presenting myself very well. I have since received vocational training in how to present well at such interviews an now having had several real world experiences in which I performed very well have every confidence that I will be able to present myself properly in such an interview.

Having addressed this concern and given my skills and interests I am now confident I have every chance of being successful in the future.
But once clicking submit the application is not accepted due to my saying I had already applied twice. I emailed recruitment directly and received a response basically saying:
"Our record shows that you have already applied twice" - Sorry.
(without the sorry)

Being a pacifist at heart and holding much disdain for the armed services I found it very difficult to bring myself to apply to the air force but I did eventually apply but was however denied on medical grounds -which is completely ridiculous! The grounds on which I was found "medically unfit" was so ridiculous I appealed the ruling but unsurprisingly was not successful.

I am now wondering what options I have left and am considering applying for ATC training in other countries. I am now 35 years old and am concerned I may be running out of time but am looking into the possibility of training over in New Zealand.

After poring over the web "Airways" website for a while I see the course requires an upfront payment of NZ$13,000 (which I would be willing to pay) but requires that we attend a psychometric evaluation in either Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch. I would of course be willing to move to New Zealand to do the training but would prefer not to have to fly over there unless it were for the training.

Are there any other options that might be available?

Last edited by S.Bartfast; 7th May 2014 at 07:08. Reason: Spelling