PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daunting Types?
Thread: Daunting Types?
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2003, 04:57
Aerobatic Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was newly qualified, I deliberately tried to fly more interesting types. The only one that was daunting was the Pitts (S2A), and then only from the front seat.

In defence of the "spamcan" hirers, though, it can be quite difficult to find something interesting to rent. At the airfield I used to fly from in the UK, there are 5 flying clubs. Between them, they have Cessnas (152 / 172), Pipers (PA28 / 38), and a couple of small Robins. When the most exciting type available is a Piper Arrow, it's perhaps understandable that myths take hold and a Jodel, Pitts, Chipmunk or Wilga becomes something very daunting.

Unfortunately also, "daunting" types sometimes live up to their reputations. A club I fly from in France bought a very nice little Jodel. Last autumn someone got caught out by a cross-wind on the single hard runway, and destroyed the undercarriage and propeller. Three weeks ago, it had another accident ( ) and is now being sold (). Most club members fly 10-15 hours a year in a Robin DR400 and many have been put off taildraggers for life.

As for your Wilga.... it's a shame it's so far away! It sounds like the ideal machine for my kind of flying. Can you put skis on it?