PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS 5
Thread: LEEDS 5
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2014, 14:20
682ft AMSL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to see the aviation minister at LBA last week. Still all feels like a long way off, but at least they have engaged WSP to kick off some proper analysis on the issue. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

I wonder if in the private meetings, the issue of APD and/or the £20m growth fund came up? A discounted rate for connections made through LHR would say much more in the short term about the commitment to recognise the importance of international connectivity. It does seem odd we make it so difficult to connect parts of the UK in need of stimulus to the only hub airport we have !

Finally, a large slug of the airport's debt was due for repayment yesterday. On the basis it still seems to be in business, I assume this was successfully refinanced

Aviation Minister drops in to discuss new airport rail link - Yorkshire Post

Mr Goodwill was at the airport yesterday for a whistle-stop tour of the facility, as part of a day of discussions with council and business leaders.

Top of the agenda was improved road and rail links to the airport.

The Minister is visiting regional airports across the country in the wake of a new Government study, which has identified the six national congestion hotspots most in need of investment.

“Coming from Yorkshire as I do, I understand the importance of regional airports, or local international airports as I think they should really be called,” he told The Yorkshire Post.

“A rail connection into the airport is obviously desirable. I am the MP for Scarborough and many of my constituents see it as [more] convenient to use Manchester airport, despite the fact it’s twice as far away, because they can get on the train at Scarborough and get off it in Manchester.

“And therefore I can understand why John (Parkin, the airport’s chief executive) is so keen to get a rail connection here, so that people an get on the train, change at Leeds or Harrogate and come into Leeds Bradford by train.”