PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANZ Erebus crash 28 November 1979 - 34 years later.
Old 2nd May 2014, 13:20
Ornis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paragraph 377 of the Mahon Report sums up this accident succinctly;

"The palpably false sections of evidence which I heard could not have been the result of mistake, or faulty recollection. They originated, I am compelled to say, in a pre-determined plan of deception. They were very clearly part of an attempt to conceal a series of disastrous administrative blunders and so& I am forced reluctantly to say that I had to listen to an orchestrated litany of lies." (Paragraph 377)
No, it doesn't sum up the accident. It sums up Mahon's view of his inquiry.

The facts of the crash are clear and not in dispute.

Let me ask you, Paragraph 377. Had Collins not been so low for so long, heeded the flight engineer and pulled up sooner, and missed the mountain by say 100 ft. Would he have been thanked by Air NZ and congratulated by the CAA? Feted by NZALPA, a safety award introduced in his name? Members of the public flocking to fly with him?

From what you write in your public profile, I surmise you were a B747/B777 captain, with Air NZ. Is that correct? You must have been in your mid-twenties when Collins flew into Erebus. So, did you spend virtually your whole career under the shadow of Erebus, where you are today, or are you just revisiting?

Last edited by Ornis; 2nd May 2014 at 13:37.