PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Planning Ahead: Flying Advice | FlyEFT
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2014, 09:15
LIFFY4E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning Ahead: Flying Advice | FlyEFT

Hey how’s it going, I’m looking for some advice on how I should go about doing my flight training if anyone wouldn’t mind giving some advice based on their experiences. I’ve already searched the forums on FlyEFT and read a great informative post about the PPL process. I would like to dig a bit deeper into the CPL/ME-IR side of things as well.

Currently I’m doing my PPL here in Ireland but the hourly rate is ridiculously high on a Cessna 152, so much that I am considering going to FlyEFT in Fort Pierce, Florida. I’m currently working for an airline and have close contact with FO’s and Captains who have all completed their training in Florida (some modular and some integrated) and they have all recommended the Florida route whether it be modular or integrated.

I have two main questions/worries;

1. Is FlyEFT a good flight school? I’ve been told to go their based on peoples experiences. They have very good prices for their modular courses and with the current exchange rate they are half the price of any integrated course I’ve seen. I’ve roughly calculated the cost of PPL/Hour building/CPL/ME-IR and it works out around the equivalent of 40000 euro. Add an MCC course in FTE on top and you get it all for give or take 50000 with accommodation and all the extras.
2. I have one good thing on my side and that’s age. I’m 21 years old and starting my final year in college in September studying a Transport degree. (decided to do a degree to fall back on in case the flying doesn’t go to plan). So my question is would I be better off doing my flight training over two years or so, going back and forth between Florida every 6 months or so? This route gives me the option of saving when I’m working and getting smaller credit union loans at a time in order to get each licence. It’s a longer process but I think it’s a smarter way to do it.
3. Or should I try and go integrated?

What do you guys who have done it think? Is there a better way I can approach this that I have missed? I’m looking for this information now as I’d like to start planning ahead as my final year in college is going to fly by with my thesis and whatever other work they decide to throw at us.

All advice welcome and much appreciated.