PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANZ Erebus crash 28 November 1979 - 34 years later.
Old 30th Apr 2014, 13:48
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the point I made was that nobody had defined any such thing as sector whiteout
From the FAA
It is certain that such weather phenomena like flat light and white out have existed since the beginning of time. However, to date, no real in-depth studies into these weather conditions have been examined extensively as they relate to the aviation community. The Federal Aviation Administration continues to explore this unusual visual condition and in the interest of safety is committed to reporting any new findings.
How many trips did Gordon Vette do to McMurdo?, and yet he discovered a phenomenon that people with many years experience in that environment had never encountered?
All experienced arctic aviators have experienced the phenomena at one time or another, but it would seem a particular name had not been given to it. The term "sector whiteout" is now well entrenched in the lexicon of both the USA and Canadian regulatory authorities.
You will no doubt be aware of the qualifications and experience held by Captain Derek Ellis
I am well aware of his background, but through lack of experience of arctic flying he is no better equipped to expound on its hazards than a student at my aero club. And I doubt he would be the man to go to for advice on crop dusting techniques. All the experts said stomach ulcers were caused by stress or spicy foods. It took a dumb doctor to prove them all wrong.

I'm very much surprised, given your interest in Erebus, that you have not made an effort to educate yourself in the sector whiteout phenomena Prospector. The web is replete with information. I can only assume from your lack of interest in educating yourself you may have a closed mind, or an axe to grind.