PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2014, 19:44
roverman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAN, IAD experiences

Got back into MAN this morning from Washington D.C. on LH via FRA. Indirect return was due to price/availability vs direct on United, which I used on the outbound leg. A good experience at MAN this morning: un-delayed taxi to gate, an airbridge (remote at FRA), passport e-gates slow but working, with help on hand. Baggage reclaim at T1 was swift, albeit not a busy time (11.10 arrival). Only the silly down-and-then-up again walk from Gate 25 to Immigration for pax to have a slight moan about. A321 FRA-MAN was chock-a-block full, as was UA B757 MAN-IAD last week. Load factors clearly strong on many MAN routes at the moment. Great to be able to fly direct from MAN to a growing list of US destinations, and hopefully the B757 Atlantic routes will get a change of gauge soon as I think the lack of seats forced me to return via FRA.

LH's new B747-8I is a lovely beastie, the IFE and cabin service excellent too.

IAD is a mixed experience: slow Immigration, clumsy mobile lounges inbound, good subway people-mover outbound. A vast airport with about the same number of pax as MAN (21m). The Eero Saarinen terminal is still wonderful, inspiring, with a classic yet modern feel to it. And it works well, being essentially a large space which can be reconfigured as required. Built the same year as the core of MAN's T1 but MAN's design never allowed for substantial growth/changes and has since become outdated and needs redevelopment. A good opportunity to create something timeless and inspiring for us all to enjoy!