PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK HELICOPTER DOWN IN AFGHANISTAN
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2014, 22:47
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Twos in,

"Hate to be the bearer of bad news smuj, but in the era of electronic news gathering and 24 hours cable news the "prize" only goes to the first report, not the accurate report. The BBC are just as predatory as CNN or Fox in pi$$ng over the graves of the recently deceased to get the story. If you start by assuming they are all vermin and make the appropriate exceptions you won't go far wrong."

Thanks for your guidance and advice on how to respond to media hype. You aren't the bearer of bad news, because what you are saying is exactly aligned with my thinking. Whatever their motives, monetary or point scoring, it can never justify the guesswork used to to create angst for many families who have relatives serving in Afghanistan. Whatever era we are in, surely human decency has some merit? Maybe, the press race to be first is starting to overcome respect for family and friends of possible casualties of such events. I offer no argument to your post, I only ask if the media need tragedies like this to make money.

Smudge