PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots turned operators
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2003, 18:39
captk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yep, pilots are their own worst enemies. Working for free in a highly professional environment such as aviation is ludicrous. And what for? Just to get a few hours in a log book!! Give thought to the companies out there trying to do the right thing but having to compete against operators screwing their pilots and probably shortcutting in other areas as well. How do reputable companies survive in that environment? And what of the pilots that don't go to the airlines. They have to try and make a living in a GA that has been screwed up by those working for nothing or next to nothing.
Luckily there are a few larger corporations that won't use an Aviation company unless they pass their stringent audits. Some of these audits include checking that the pilots are paid at least award rates. I know of one large corporation that even audits the airlines and it is interesting to see what airlines are on their "blacklist". If a company dosn't pass it's audit than none of their personal are allowed to travel with that airline or operator.
Award rates are put in place to ensure employees aren't screwed. It takes into account experience, ratings and endorsements. And beleive me, the award for a fresh low hour cpl flying SE with minimum endorsements and ratings is very low so if a company can't even pay that wage it shouldn't be operating!! At least the award allows for a lower wage for those doing their "apprenticeship" untill they get more experience, more ratings and become generally more usefull to the operation.
And there is a union to protect pilots. Membership can be good insurance if you are being screwed by the operator or if after an accident one of your passengers tries to sue you and the company you fly for drops you like a hot potato!!
End of the day it is up to the pilot.
My advice is, if the company is screwing you than leave and find one that is going to pay at least award. There are a rew good companies out there trying to do the right thing.