PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for Canadian Air Traffic Controllers and Recruiters
Old 25th Apr 2014, 00:54
VGOIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Canadian Air Traffic Controllers and Recruiters

I wonder if you guys could please answer some questions for me regarding Air Traffic Careers in Canada that's a bit more in depth than what you can find on the Nav Canada website.I'm finding it tough to get hold of a person to speak to when calling Nav Canada.

1: I am a Flight Instructor in Manitoba, and hold a Transport Canada Commercial Pilots License, so have a strong aviation background and have experienced the other side of the coin. I am originally from the UK although have landed residency status in Canada now. From the UK, I have what they call an Air to Ground Radio operators certificate based on my pilots license. This enables me to carry out duties that appear to be similar to an FSS in Canada where we can provide an information service, and traffic information at un controlled airports, which I do have considerable experience in doing.

How much does all this help towards training to become an FSS, or an Airport Controller in Canada? Would it shorten it considerably? or does this knowledge and experience not carry much weight?

2: If one holds a class 1 medical already, does one still need a class 2 medical? Or is the class 1 considered a higher level and fills the medical requirements?

3: I understand one has to be willing to re-locate, then apply for a transfer back to their local facility or other desired facility later on. Realistically, lets say for example I wanted to work either as an Airport Controller in Winnipeg, or an FSS in one of the airports in that surrounding area in South Manitoba. Are there many openings that crop up here, or could I be waiting a long time to transfer back to this area? I see there is a job opening here right now, but is there one that crops up often within this area?

4: Is there a training facility in this area in South Manitoba? Or would the training have to take place elsewhere?

5: I understand that Airport Controllers work around the clock. Typically what are the shift patterns? Are they split into 3 with earlies, lates and nights? I imagine FSS services are more daytime shifts, as uncontrolled airports become unmanned or close after hours?

6: I understand that initial training is unpaid, yet full time so one is unable to earn money during that period. I was a bit confused on the website exactly how long the unpaid duration is. I saw 4-6 months in two boxes, then 7-14 months on the third. In my case assuming my background was going to help me along, how long would you say approximately the unpaid duration of training would be? Just so that I can plan ahead.

Many thanks in advance for your time guys.