PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Best Fighter In The World.............
Old 24th Apr 2014, 14:49
Madbob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tornado IDS and ADV Fuselages

The ADV Tornado variant must have had significantly better aerodynamics than the IDS variant due to its longer fuselage. Also (not that I was a navigator) the cockpit was slightly further forward of the intakes so there was a better view from the back.

The question I always had was why weren't the IDS versions built with the longer fuselage. It would have also given them more internal fuel. Commonality would have also reduced the costs of building the ADV variant which I think totalled just 165 airframes.

Add in an internal IFR probe (OK it meant one 27mm cannon not two but maybe that could have been compensated with having more rounds per gun) and the drag index improves a bit more. Less drag means more speed or less power and that means more range.

I was at Honington in 1981 when there were Buccaneers and Tornados sharing the airfield. The Bucc was no slouch at low level but always subsonic. On paper the Tornado was quicker but needed reheat to go fast. As for range, it was no contest - the banana jet won hands-down, helped by its internal bomb bay and coke bottle area-ruled fuselage.....

MB