PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Apprentice - Jet 2
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2014, 11:49
G-F0RC3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the term "fATPL" is an elegant solution to the otherwise long-winded expression of the same qualifications. Why not adopt such an acronym if it improves the ability of pilots to express their qualifications succinctly? This is probably why the term has gained so much popularity. Thanks for your comments by the way mick

It's true that there's no legal requirement for a person to have GCSEs and/or A-Levels in order to obtain an ATPL. But I'd be astonished if anyone actually held an ATPL who did not have the ability to obtain GCSEs (or their equivalents). And - hypothetically speaking - if I were a financial institution who had been asked to fund their training, I'd have serious reservations in the absence of a track record of them having sat exams at a reasonable level.

That said, I'm not sure I see the logic in Jet2's approach if the candidates they are looking for need to already have an fATPL? That should probably supercede the requirement for GCSEs; in the same way a Degree in maths will always supercede the requirement for an A-Level in it. However, I remain open-minded and will continue to follow this topic with interest.