PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things have to get worse before they can get better
Old 24th Apr 2014, 08:03
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That the numbers of incidents or accidents is generally on the decrease is quite obviously due to the simplification and reliability of the equipment, the ATC environment, and not due to an influx of better pilots.
I agree but I think we are also seeing the results of more enlightened and improved training systems. Which is why the newby is not the hazard that some would make them out to be. The hazard is the poorly rested, totally shagged out pilot, left or right seat, who misses something important or who simply gets it wrong. And they are poorly rested and tired because of dreadful, but totally legal T's & C's.

And returning to where we started: the supply of pilots is still too large for the positions available. Not until the supply equals demand will T's & C's improve. Ergo, things will have to get so good we run out of pilots (most unlikely) or so bad nobody can afford to train - again, quite unlikely. Therefore, may I respectfully suggest that people should learn to drive a train or become a plumber until things improve.