PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dundee
Thread: Dundee
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2014, 20:54
SunnyDayInWiltshire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite a successful trip in the end. Weather was fantastic CAVOK so beautiful views all the way. Dundee was definitely the right choice. Hire car waiting for us with Tayside Aviation, which is a busy flight training school. Easy drive to destination, no delays on the ground.

But I wouldn't recommend arriving VFR heading north to EDI from TAL at 5000 feet as I did. Not knowing what's really feasible or to ask for (or the traffic situation), I fluffed the initial call to EDI approach and was given a standby followed by radio silence. In the end I got a transit north across the Forth from Musselborough at 4000 feet.

Before returning, Tayside Aviation recommended I telephone EDI Approach who suggested a routing via Kelti and overhead at 2000 feet. This meant circling over the bridges for a while until a gap appeared. In retrospect, the Musselborough routing would have been more expeditious but the view from the Forth Bridges was fun. It's clear there is a constant stream of commercial traffic to deal with, so is not trivial to accommodate VFR transits in this way.

I have no idea what routings might be possible VFR at higher levels but at least now know that ATC are accessible to discuss by phone. I couldn't find any published document explaining the possible VFR options similar to what I've seen from Bristol.

Somewhat unusual join at Dundee. As I was descending through 1600 feet still in the Leuchars MATZ, Dundee told me they prefer you to remain at 2000 feet while south of the Tay so had to climb again briefly. I was told to join descending downwind into the circuit with one on short final and another well behind turning crosswind. The riverside location makes for great views.

Scottish Information exceeded expectations, proffering relevant weather information and updates on our destination without prompting. Leuchars steered us clear of paradropping at Glenrothes.