PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A small victory for free speech!
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2014, 01:20
inchman254

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it interesting that you feel proud that you arbitrarily spend $500 on every flight just "for you"r feeling of comfort. Do you really need more than an extra full hour of fuel on every flight?

We had a guy who carried a specific amount of extra fuel on every flight at my carrier on the premise that he was "safer". Basically, it meant that he didn't have to be as thorough in his flight planning and the extra gas made up for his laziness.

I would much rather be sitting in the back with a crew who did a thorough analysis of the flight and carried the appropriate amount of extra fuel based on current conditions, whether that be zero extra or 12tonne extra. I don't hesitate to take extra fuel when I feel I need it and I wouldn't hesitate to divert if I didn't have enough fuel to continue the operation safely... not waiting till the last minute. I've never had to divert due to too little fuel in the last 15 years of captaincy and don't feel so overburdened by the other pressures of the job to have to carry inordinately large amounts of extra fuel.