PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2014, 13:36
jdeakin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"yr right,"

You have serval times stated that is ok not to follow the poh.
No, not true. What we have said is the "LIMITATIONS" section of the POH is good, valid information, and should be followed at all times. Where we draw the line is the "How to fly" material that makes up the rest of the POH.

You ran an engine at 5/80
Yes, in a Bonaza that was in EXPERIMENTAL, in order to prove a point.

you don't except that valves burn.
I think you mean "accept" not "expect." Assuming this is so, it's not true. Valves DO burn. Valves DO cause engine failures in some cases. If the failure is not detected early, and handled properly, it can even cause loss of life. I do not doubt that you see this type of failure all the time, with parts scattered all over your hangar floor. (Although most prefer them on tables for easier access.)

Where we part company is the CAUSE of these valve failures. We first began wondering why one or two valves fails at around 400 hours of service, yet other valves in the same engine go to TBO. This doesn't make sense, at first. Fix that one valve, and the engine goes on. We've got documented cases (including but not limited to our own) where owners buy a BRAND NEW ENGINE, and the owner insists on taking all cylinders off, and putting a micrometer on all parts to check them. Lo and behold, some cylinders were up to factory specs, and some were not, and a few off by surprising amounts. When the cylinders that were not up to factory specs were repaired or replaced and put back on the engine, no further problems, they go to TBO, and well beyond.

Generally speaking, the typical "burnt valves" are caused by improper installation in the cylinder. That can be at the factory, or by the overhauler.

(Yes, owners ARE spending the extra "several thousand dollars" to remove and repair cylinders.)

We do believe that it IS possible to "burn" valves over time, by running engines just barely ROP under adverse conditions. Valves will be at their very hottest at about 25℉ (14℃) ROP, according to 1943 fuels research by the Government and by 1966 Lycoming research, confirmed by GAMI in this century. That's just one reason we suggest running LOP (much cooler), or if you must run ROP, much richer, or limit power to 60% or 65%.

You have no peer reviews.
Ha! It didn't take you long to pick up on that one! I expect all messages from you will contain that line. NO PEER REVIEW!

I'm not sure how we'd get a "peer review," and we certainly don't have the time or money to pay for it. Who would be the "peers" You? The mind boggles.
You state that if you run what you are selling your engine will make o/h so what if you run it normally it will as well.
Quite true, if we define your "normally." If you run below 60% (maybe 65%) of rated power, run the mixtures anywhere you like, mixture use or misuse at such low power will not harm the engine. You will have the same valve problems at 400 hours either way.

LOP operation will save about 3 GPH (11 lph) at the same power settings, and with the price of fuel these days, that's pretty significant. It will pay for the overhaul! It will also be less maintenance (no fouled plugs) and it's cleaner and cooler. LOP will also make it possible to run at more than the puny 60% or 65%. In fact, thousands of pilots are running at levels of 85% and more, and the engines love it.
I also had a mess from awi that is watching this with interest and is concerned to say the least with what you are promoting.
I'm sorry, I don't understand "awi." I would welcome a RATIONAL discourse with anyone.

John Deakin
jdeakin // at // advancedpilot.com