PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2014, 13:36
jdeakin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"DEXTA," I have a C172 with the O320-E2D, I have a Single point CHT & EGT fitted, when in cruise I will lean until I get an RPM drop which corresponds to peak, or just past peak EGT. I only do this once I'm running less than 75% power, determined by RPM and density altitude (approx. 2500 @ 2500', 2600 @ 5000' and 2700 @ 9000'). I do not know if I'm running LOP on all cylinders, but it is usually on peak or just lean of peak - 40 deg or so, on cylinder 3 (the one with the EGT probe), but what I do notice is my CHT's which drop from 380-400 degrees to below 350. I am getting about 118 KTAS at 8000' for 30 litres per hour and the engine is running smooth. I have been told that this procedure should not hurt the engine as it is under 75% power. I would love to do the APS course (and will next time it is within 300nm of home) but I'm hesitant to install an EMS in the aircraft (as I'm hoping to upgrade the aircraft in the near future). I could of course run 100 deg ROP but the CHT's get upto 400 and as I understand, the lower the CHTs the better. Of course if the above is all wrong then I would be very interested is learning what I can do practically to run my engine at its best with what I have.
Cheers, Dexta.
It is not "wrong!" A classic message from a thinking pilot, who is treating his engine right.

Good on ya, mate!

Best...
John Deakin