PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK CAA rip-off fee for PPL examiner renewal
Old 17th Apr 2014, 18:20
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Examiner glut?

Sadly, we will never get anywhere with this whilst there are people queuing up to be Examiners

Well, that may be so in your part of the World...

I had thought about progressing to become an examiner (1,500 hr instructional, 7 years) though I think my experience marginal at best. Apparently, in the past, at my stage of development, one rang the CAA and said 'I've got 1,500 hours instructional and would like to become an examiner' and they sent back your approval in the post. Now, I'd have to do a seminar, an additional 2 days TK and practical, then a flight test or two with a CAA examiner. I reckon it would cost me over £1,500. With our current level of students and revals, I don't think I'd be able to stand the loss I'd make over the next 3 years - that's always assuming I'd pass, of course.

Personally, I think 1500 hrs is right on the bottom edge of experience for examining. As a reference, the CAA think that 250 hours is adequate! How does that work? There must be some hot-shot instructors out there who can examine after 250 hrs experience.

The Odd One