PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK CAA rip-off fee for PPL examiner renewal
Old 15th Apr 2014, 18:47
hughcant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK CAA rip-off fee for PPL examiner renewal

Looking ahead to the renewal of my PPL examiner certification, I have noted with horror that every 3 years not only do I need to attend a seminar (£160), fly with an examiner to check my competency (Fee ~ £200, aircraft hire ~£200), I then have to pay the CAA £338 to process the renewal application. This amount is the same as the initial application - and for what?

I wouldn't feel so begrudging if we as examiners got support from the Examiners Cell at Aviation House but when the EASA regulations came in, there was no guidance forthcoming. All we were told to do (by mass e mail) was to download a copy of the Examiners' Handbook which was already out of date! Furthermore, despite promises that it would be updated in 2013, surprise, surprise, it is now April 2014 and nothing has materialised. It really is a mystery as to what our 3 yearly fee is going towards.

I am not out to make money from examining ( a good thing too given the financial outlay) but to have to pay out a fee of £338 every 3 years to do a job that is actually is beneficial to the CAA - as they do not have to employ their own examiners - seems a bit of a kick in the proverbials. If I break even, I consider I am doing well.

Is there anyone out there who thinks it is time we challenged the size and frequency of the fee? I have already complained to the CAA but do not expect to get a coherent response. However, if there is any indication of support on this forum, I would be content to write to Andrew Haines, the CAA's CEO on behalf of us all.