PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2014, 00:30
Walter Atkinson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, BTW, some years ago I invited the owner of RAM to come to the APS course as my guest. He declined, actually saying that he already knew everything he needed to know.

I talked with their chief engineer a few months later and he said, "I KNOW you are right and that the science supports everything you say about engine management and LOP ops. But, my boss is hard-headed and he writes the checks. It's embarrassing."

It's important to recognize that ALL sources of data from Haywood, to Taylor, to TCM, Lycoming, NASA, Pratt & Whitney, and Wright, including the auto researchers (not to mention the most advanced engine test facility in the world in Ada, OK) are in agreement on the science.

"The physics are everywhere the same."
Sir Isaac Newton

I guess the guy at RAM operates under a different set of the laws of physics.

Six or seven years ago, I had a similar conversation with the VP of engineering at Lycoming. I showed him Lycoming's very own data that suggested that LOP ops were favorable to ROP ops at the same power setting. He said, "I will give you data to the contrary and I'll send it to you." Still waiting. Repeated requests went un answered--even in person, until he was replaced and no longer worked for Lycoming. Two years ago at the Cardinal Flyers annual meeting, Lycoming's president stated that there is no contrarian data for the fact that LOP ops are fine. He promised to change their website information and retract the "Experts are Everywhere" document. I guess the wheels of corporate inertia grind slowly; no changes as of April, 2014.

Last edited by Walter Atkinson; 15th Apr 2014 at 00:42.