PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2014, 10:49
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, Jeez, Yr. Right, NOBODY has suggested that LOP is "new"

People have spent a lot of time and effort, trying to help you understand just how important a correct mixture is.

I flew a bit with a friend in an Aeronca Chief. NO MIXTURE CONTROL!!!
Armstrong starting, an Icom handheld and a very basic panel.

That aeroplane ran rich on the ground......it failed to climb above 10,000 feet because the engine was choking-up. All that excess energy was going out of the exhaust as soot.

In an aircraft with a mixture control, you have the ability to reduce the fuel -to air mixture, for a "perfect burn"-within the limitations of fixed valve and ignition timing and compression ratio.

What everybody has been trying to explain, is that, whilst excessively rich mixt. CAN have a beneficial cooling effect. there is a band of ratios from "rich through "weak" where detonation is likely to be prevalant.
Go rich of the "danger band" and you'll waste fuel and foul plugs.

Go weak of the "danger band" and you'll lose power , as cylinders will either stop firing or the mix is simply too weak to produce power.

I'd suggest all your duff "cly's" (Why don't you write CYL's as an abbreviation? ) have been run in the "danger area"

It's just a shame that the laws of physics have shoved this detonation area bang in the middle of the combustible range of mixture -ratios.

Fed up now, the water's right there, your choice wether to drink it free of charge..... If I lived in Aus, I'd be tempted by that course and i'm neither a LAME or Pilot.
You see, Yr. Right, you really have no idea who is behind the "handles"
But it's pretty obvious to me , that some very well-qualified, literate and intelligent engineers, with real, hands-on experience, have been trying to help you understand this method of engine operation.

Some years ago, a UK company prodiuced a glass-insulator spark plug (Gunson's Colourtune)...It enabled you to actually watch the combustion-chamber burn and set idle mix accordingly....unfortunately it was not robust enough, and lacked the heat-range, to run under load on a Dyno.