PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2014, 10:34
Bagso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr MANFOD

Not sure, we are going back a bit now, I don't recall it being a huge part of the submission and certainly not verbal (if at all). Others may recall ?

It was certainly raised 2 or 3 times in the latter stage by Graham Stringer MP who may of course have retained briefing papers from the earlier hearings, but by then MAG had bought STN so the force of argument to develop MAN from MAG had gone somewhat off piste !

Six months in and it and it became totally non-existent, presumably as MAG assumed STN would be in the box seat and did not wish the previous argument supporting Manchester to divert attention.

It was therefore left to the MPs who probably thought if MAG cannot argue the point why should we, although credit Mr Stringer he at least did keep plugging away and did forcefully argue that it was a major point totally dismissed by Davies.

I am sure there is a line in one of his interim reports that suggest it significantly harms UK interests... hang on make that London interests !

Had they known what they know now and given news of last few days I wonder if the MAG submissions group may have played a different strategy !

On a general point re EK I am not sure on the effect that a service would have on our scheds.

I am sure I read a CAA report 2003 on 5th freedoms (PIA) that suggested circa 75% of Newark traffic is actually pure connecting , it is old data but even with a 10% margin for error based on todays figures a point to point service would surely stimulate demand rather than taking it away from other operators.

A lot of the analytical research work quoted by armchair analysts on here regarding MAN always seems to suggest a finite market size with airlines taking market share from each other on our "own" routes.

How about a more positive note with a suggestion that MAN claws back traffic in a 100 mile radius that might that otherwise would jumped in the car/train to use London Or of course take the RYR approach and create demand when non existed ?

I'm in Sheds shed, as far as Emirates is concerned. I am inclined to think everything EK touch seems to turn to Gold, any service would be daily, and coupled to a 777/380 it would provide the level of "certainty" that you get from using LHR !

What the US operators do from from MAN compared to LHR is pee poor in context .... 757 ops are pretty meagre fayre in my book and this tinkering of 5 a week etc in Winter does not help.There must also have been a degree of brand loyalty to certain airlines which has now also been swallowed up !

If US airlines are falling over themselves to lose money from LHR I really don't see why should Manchester be penalised with lack of service or higher fares ?

Last edited by Bagso; 14th Apr 2014 at 11:28.