PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2014, 09:13
drunk_pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leadsled:

In matters of LOP, if it is not specifically prohibited, it is permitted, as LOP is a quite normal operating mode for a four cycle (Otto Cycle) piston engine, aircraft or otherwise.
Oh really... So what happens when your aircraft POH only has performance tables for, say long range cruise leaning to peak EGT, which has a TAS and fuel flow attached to it, and some turkey decides he/she can make his/her destination in one go if he/she runs LOP based on their self derived data. How can he/she PROVE what performance they will achieve? Let's say they have an unforeseen headwind and suffer fuel exhaustion prior to their destination and have to land in tiger country. How successful do you think they'll be fronting the coroner over the death of a passenger because they extrapolated the OEM POH with their own, or anyone else's non-approved data? That's what I thought.

Quote:
Don't have charts for any leaner than peak EGT, any operation beyond that is extrapolation, and you are now a test pilot.

actually most engines do, and i have seen the data, and seen all types of engines run LOP.. plenty of data around on LOP ops, so much so, that i doubt anyone would be a test pilot when it comes to LOP in any aircraft..

a test pilot implying that the pilot is flying without any knowledge of what will happen when operating the aircraft in its current setup/conditions..
You quoted me out of context, Ultralights. I said IF YOU DON'T have charts for it. Read my first post a couple of pages back, if you have the charts and know what you're doing, go for it. Run LOP.

What really bothers me here, is that people are suggesting that just because the manufacturer doesn't specifically say don't do it, that you can! A little bit of knowledge is dangerous in the wrong hands, and this forum has a lot of new pilots reading, and getting ideas of stretching their dollar or range by running LOP, potentially without having any approved data or procedure in the POH to do it. You're asking for trouble saying that on here.

I'll say it ONCE more for clarity: If the POH says you can, and you know what you're doing, then go for it. But for your OWN sake, if you don't have the approved data to hang your hat on, DON'T DO IT!