PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2014, 03:03
Walter Atkinson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbys running LOP and Such:

The use of Carb heat is NOT recommended to be full ON. There is an optimal carb temp which results in optimal fuel vaporization. It is that carb temp that results in the lowest DIF number with the least carb heat application. THAT is what you should be using. Once found, it works at all OATs. (BTW, in all installations I have tried this on, that temp will be above freezing and carb ice is not an issue.)

Danger of mixtures:

The most dangerous mixture is approx. 40dF ROP. Why? The data proves that that is the mixture which results in the highest CHTs, highest internal cylinder pressures and the least detonation margin. ANY mixture richer or leaner is less of a problem.

EMS:

They "can be used" to lean an engine but that is NOT why you should have one. They are valuable tools in saving your engine and your life.

DATA:

A person without data is just another person with an unsupported opinion.

We each should decide from whom we take advice and trust. For me, if you do not have data to back up your claims, I'll drink a beer with you, but I will give little credence to your "opinions" of science.

We have been listening to a few folks in this thread who have no data but have some pretty strong opinions. One would hope that on a good forum like this, that these folks would figure out that they are a tad shy on understanding based on facts, but are comfortable using unsupported opinions to make important decisions. An introspective sort would probably go get some education to correct that. Unfortunately, it is commonplace for the very ones who need the most education to be the least inclined to get it.

Let me ask: How do you know when you are right?

Unless you are willing to constantly challenge what you think is right and try to prove yourself wrong, you will, without a doubt become wrong.

We are watching this in real-time.