PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2014, 00:19
Agrajag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I said it before and I'll say it again. Had I known when I first started I would have collected ever cly and when why what etc so in 2014 I could post it on this site. Now I didn't. So ok all you fellas out there with all your experience and thousands of flight hours and your own data and of course you have your own data don't you. With the exception of Mick which seams to collect his own data via trends I bet none of you collect it.
You might be surprised to learn how many of us do. And how that enables us to correlate, very closely, our actions during a flight and the direct result they have on the engine parameters. CHTs, EGTs, fuel flow, MAP... got 'em all, in real time.

But there I go, using that pesky and misleading "data" again. Sorry.

Now I'll say this again. The fuel pump is a pump. It is controled by the fcu. The pump is a follower it is a sheep. It follows. Also I find it allitle strange that no one has said any thing about the changes that tcm have made. Maybe wow could I be right and you can't discredit me.
Wrong, yet again. The fuel pump on our Bendix system is not "controlled" by anything. But what happens after the fuel leaves the pump... that's another thing. And, again, the pump on a TCM system is driven differently and its ultimate output to the injectors is regulated differently. I still don't understand how, in a technical discussion, you can make these sweeping statements to imply the two systems work in the same manner.

Please don't resort to the tired defence of "I'm a LAME and you're not", as though that should shut down any disagreement. You've already demonstrated some gaping holes in your knowledge. I'll accept any assertion you care to make, and learn from it - if you can prove it.

Equally, even mere opinions are only valid if they are based on something factual. Otherwise they're just hot air.

And so, to POH techiniques...

A POH contains certain limitations which must be observed. These include weights, CG ranges, max RPM, min oil pressure and so on. The POH will also tell us optimum and limiting speeds for different phases of flight, for use when needed.

But there's a lot of content which is advisory only, and much of this relates to how to achieve desired power outputs from the engine. These are not published as limitations, and so aren't mandatory. If the POH doesn't specifically prohibit, for example, LOP operation, then it's fair game.

This is distinct from an approved Operations Manual in a commercial environment. If I'm operating in such a context, then you bet I'll comply with the way the Ops Manual says it should be done - even if I don't agree with it. The same goes if I'm renting. I'll do it the way the owner wants.

But when I'm flying privately in my own aircraft, the rules are different. Our POH is also an approved document, and it's deliberately vague on the finer points of engine management, which allows the informed pilot to do what is safe and sensible.