PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2014, 15:48
drunk_pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,

Gerry 111 addressing yr right:

If you make a claim here, then it's quite reasonable for others to expect you to back it up with facts.
Why? He doesn't have to back anything up. He was asked his OPINION on LOP operations, and he has given plenty of it. I personally know 'yr right' and have flown aircraft maintained by him. He is very passionate, thorough, knowledgable, and will always err on the side of caution, giving regard to what the book says.

Which brings me to my next problem. This quote may or may not be taken out of context, but is irrelevant in my opinion:

Now assume that I was flying, ROP, the way the POH says I should, and this happened.
This is part of one of the testimonials on the Advanced Pilot website that 'Jabbawocky' shared earlier in the thread. Now I don't have an issue with an aircraft owner operating their aircraft LOP, providing the BOOK SAYS YOU CAN! Why is Advanced Pilot advocating operating outside the POH? Because they know better than the OEM? Maybe, but is Advanced Pilot going to be held accountable in the event something goes wrong while their customer is operating outside the POH with their new found knowledge? Bearing in mind, in. Litigation, that any failure doesn't necessarily have to be related to operating LOP, if it can be proven that the pilot was operating outside of the POH. It doesn't matter if you know better than the OEM, you are bound by the POH!

For example, when Beech certified the original King Air 200, it had 850SHP PT6A-41 engines. They certified the King Air 200 take-off and landing data on this configuration. Fast forward a few decades, and we now have the B200GT with improved PT6A-52's, but, beech still use the original take-off and landing data from the earliest king airs (to save money re-certifying the data). We all know that the new one will get up and go in less distance (particularly hot and high), but try getting that past CASA when you decide to go outside what the OEM says because you know better!

If the POH allows for it, fill your boots. It doesn't mean that 'yr right' has to recommend it to people. He has his reasons, and he doesn't have to provide graphs to the peanut gallery on here. He's not advocating anything radical, he's advocating good common sense, and following the POH.

Regards