PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2014, 12:07
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ No Hoper
Again , you raise a red herring....IF the starter was sufficiently fast to throw-out the impulse coupling, that would indicate that the engine manufacturer thought retardation and impulse were not required at that rotational speed....QED.
What part of "IF are you having difficulty with?
The whole thing is hypothetical. If you re-read all the thread, someone suggested that the high torque permanent magnet starters are BAD because they crank too quickly.....I was merely pointing out that, IMO this is a half-baked argument and gave the justification for my reasoning.....It has yet to be refuted.
I do not make a habit of flooding engines. A lifetime of fettling 2-strokes, 4-strokes, Agricultural, Marine, Aviation and road, have given me some understanding of the applied physics involved....Again, my description was meant to be an analysis of each compression stroke event on a cylinder during the starting phase.
Although there is a large "technical" section to the UK PPL, It seems the majority of PILOTS learn by rote and can repeat parrot-fashion without any understanding of the subject they are repeating......like a book, all the info is there, but it's too dumb to use it.

I once knew an engineer who had trouble with a gas appliance.....When I explained that a thermocouple produced electricity , when heated, He told me in no uncertain terms that I was extracting the urine and talking cobblers He only backed down when a random customer was asked how the device worked and repeated the answer.

Another refused to believe the theory behind "stretch-bolts" for accurate cylinder head/block tightening.....He had to physically "feel" them go on the last angular tightening, before he understood why they are a "once-only" use for their intended purpose.

We must be receptive to new applications of science and new scientific discoveries......Stab-proof cloth (Kevlar) ? Carbon-fibre structures? how many people thought these were flights of fancy when they were announced?

Flying with eagles isn't a problem (keeping up with them is another story )

watching out for the dinosaurs is where the problems start.