PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2014, 02:01
Progressive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCM fuel injection

"Sorry Jaba you are in correct. The fuel pump has nothing to do with fuel flow in either tcm or bedix system. The fuel pumps supply fuel to the fcu. That is there only function. They do not in either system control any fuel flow to the engine"

Yr Right,
If you are going to call someone incorrect - make sure they are.
TCM fuel system is a pressure dependent fuel metering system, this system does not measure airflow through the engine it works by metering fuel in proportion to the relative position of the throttle valve (there are no blast tube or venturi suction measurements taken from the air side).

Fuel is supplied from the pump at a set pressure (un-metered pressure) to the fuel metering valve where the mixture and throttle metering valves (variable orifices) which reduce the pressure down to a metered value before sending it to the spider. With a known pressure across a known orifice (injector nozzles) we get a known fuel flow for the particular throttle setting.

Fuel pump output pressure is critical in this system as any change in pressure to the going into the metering device will change the metered pressure output.

All of this needs to be adjusted to get the engine running right, failure to do this will lead to low fuel flows at takeoff power and exactly the kind of cylinder damage you are talking about.

If you dont believe me believe continental:
http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/SID97-3F.pdf

Or for a more simple description of the system:
http://www.kellyaerospace.com/articl...inuousFlow.pdf

And before you bemoan pilots giving you advice I AM NOT A PILOT.
I am a LAME (and aircraft owner) who has:
Worked in a fuel overhaul shop
Overhauled radial, opposed and V engines
Spent 8 years maintaining a fleet of Chieftain engines
and instructed students in aircraft piston engines/theory/systems and maintenance for the last 3 years

PLEASE STOP FIGHTING A LOOSING BATTLE and making LAME's look bad. Take the free course!! If you don't believe it dismiss it AFTER you have tried it, otherwise take what you can from it to be a better LAME.
That is the sign of professionalism in ANY field.