PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2014, 23:47
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
43"
It would be good to see some monitored data on these things to see how efficiently you can fly them though.
We have plenty of it. If you want to see it, PM me.

That's about 80% power at cruise altitude, not sure I would use that higher power setting at 2300 RPM on a J2BD.
I am glad you raised this, when done as I stated LOP the engine is not being abused, a ROP setting is another story. Again in the same data set I refer to above, you get to see this too. It is an eye opening experience.

The POH recommended climb settings as I detailed several posts back, and as your memory is correctly recalling is very hard on the engine. Again in the Dyno run data, we have this too. The data does not lie, and it tells a wonderful story.

The fact these engines do so well is testiment to the great engineering standards they were built to. Despite that there are kinder ways (more longevity) to operate them. In the words of George W Braly, "Its not how hard you run your engine, its how you run your engine hard!"

There are two options to generate cruise or climb power settings, one is gentler, cooler and cleaner, the other is for max everything. When one understands the full spectrum and not just the one half traditionally taught, the use of both become very effective tools in the toolkit.