PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2014, 23:19
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serious question: why doesn't whoever writes the POHs advocate LOP?

Second, if I attend the course and install engine monitors, do they come with an AFM supplement or similar that would make it legal to operate LOP in defiance of the stated procedures (CAR 138).
The majority do, and I would guess they all do if you dig for the detail and quite looking for the express words "operate LOP".

The problem is many manuals actually give guidance (poor as it is) on how to operate LOP, the most recent one I have had my head in is the G36 Bo. It is quite explicit but is so generalised that the advice is technically poor. But hey...it is there.

Many others describe operating parameters, which while contradicted on the previous pages, are actually telling you how to operate LOP.

This misconception that the POH's wont allow it are another one of lifes OWT's. POH's often set boundary points or extremes, and in other areas they give an example, but it does not mean you have to stick to just that one example.

By the way Sunday afternoon we spend an hour or so looking at POH's and engine manuals so you learn "critical thinking" something that pilots and mechanics seem to leave behind when they learn aviation. It is a rather fun session as the awakening happens.

There are even some POH's that expressly prohibit ROP ops.....and not many folk will know that story. And it is one of the big three (C, B, P.).

Once educated you see things for what they are, but let me give you a helping hand, when reading and studying any of these manuals determine which is material provided by the engineering department and which is the sales/legal/work experience kid. This will help guide you a lot more effectively.

Agra, good observation
The flow isn't tied directly to pressure, because the pump supplies more than the engine needs. Our fuel pressure goes up significantly when the boost pump is switched on, and so does the flow... briefly. Then the fuel servo adjusts to the new pressure, and the flow goes right back to where it was.
And most of what you see with the flow is the turbulence affect of switching on the electric boost pump.

All this debate about fuel flow and pressure started by this one posting;
yr right said
Ok. We'll for them that don't know the fuel flow gauge is a pus sure gauge calibrated in flow. A blocked nozzle will indicate a higher full flow as it is a direct measurement of the fuel px. Basic engine 101
What he meant is on some engines the fuel flow gauge is actually a pressure gauge with a calibrated scale on the dial to reflect fuel flow. Have a look at all the classic Beech panels and that big green faced fuel flow gauge is the one. This works a treat on the TCM engines.

If you plumbed this gauge up to the typical Lycoming it would read one value ALL the time as flow varied radically from 10LPH to 100LPH.....because the pressure is constant (relatively that is).

So lets get back to some far more educational stuff!

I have rounded up the questions I asked earlier, which yr right should try to answer as he demands nothing less of me. This is the start of the learning process. They are;
1. Please explain what happens to exhaust valve and seat temperature as you lean the engine, from rich to peak and beyond.

2. Is the exhaust valve and seat hottest at; A. 150ROP B. 75ROP C.35-50ROP D. 20LOP

3. Under what circumstances can detonation be invoke?

A:Full Rich-150dF ROP ?
B:40dF LOP - Peak EGT ?
C: 35-50dF ROP?

4. With a conforming Normally Aspirated engine, on conforming 100LL can detonation be induced?

5. With a conforming Turbocharged engine, on conforming 100LL can detonation be induced, and if so under what conditions?

Hey I just found this post by Mick Stuped; thanks
If you don't know how to get the most out of and interpret EDM data then this alone, could help your bussiness as a good diagnostic tool and an extra service you could offer to you clients. I have heard of a few maintiance orgs now offering this as a part of trend monitoring and engine health checks. Before we changed to fine wire plugs I was picking up weak plugs 50 hours prior to failure.

Just urging you to not wave this all away as mumbo jumbo just go with an open mind see what they are talking about, it seems you have nothing to loose as looks like Jabba has said he will give you your money back if you think it is crap. We are all witness to his offer.
We do not do this for profit, but we are happy to risk the expense. If John Deakin is reading this he will no doubt offer his view of the statistics so far over 13 years and thousands of students.

This has turned out to be a great thread, keep the questions coming.