PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2014, 07:21
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yr right

No I have not changed the RSA fuel servo from Precision at all. The engine driven pump provides a pressure, and it can vary from about 19PSI in flight to about 27 PSI with the boost pump on, but the flow rate will not change. A CMI(TCM) uses the pump (RPM dependent) to provide a pressure and the faster it goes the more it delivers. They are two different ways of delivering fuel. The Beech gauge is exactly what you describe, a pressure gauge and they are pretty crappy at that.

So, I am sorry I missed one of your questions, my apologies, I have been a bit busy myself. The Left engine was going to fail it was just a matter of when. The defect in the crank had less to do with mixture control as it did with magneto timing. Mind you the mixture management of the company combined with the advanced spark from mistimed magneto's will have made things worse.

The second engine had it been run full rich, when called for yes the preignition event would have been snuffed out, but without an engine monitor and knowing what to look for the pilot would have had no clue there was a preignition event happening. Heck we have data files of folk who have had engine monitors and recorded the whole sequence of events and still let it happen.

So the Whyalla RH engine would not have failed had it been routinely run RICH ENOUGH, and if during that flight it was run RICH ENOUGH also.

Of course had they operated these engines at 32-34" /2300 and 80dF LOP they would never have had any detonation to damage the plug ceramics. Had they run full rich in the climb instead of skimping (not rich enough) the same would apply.

Now...have I missed any more of your questions?

Will you have a crack at all mine? Do I need to re-list them? I can email you a bunch to have a go at just for fun. Or have a go yourself free of charge Advanced Pilot

I nominate three of the folk you know, give all three of these a call, Ben Bowden, David Paynter and Andrew Denyer. You have my name and details, after you call them and checked out my story, and the course value, drop me an email, I expect you will want to book in.