PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2014, 01:58
Aerozepplin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(Regarding carby engines)
Now, those in the know can correct me if I’m wrong, but when operating a carbureted engine the standard leaning technique will resultin at least some cylinders operating LOP.

The old “lean till rough then enrich till smooth” is because one or more cylinders have fallen off the HP curve. Enrichening the mixture pulls them back in line with the other cylinders, with the leanest at around 50 degrees LOP I would imagine. This means that likely some will be LOP, some around peak, and some ROP. So there you go, we’ve all been operating carbureted engines LOP, the only difference from Deakin, Jabba, etc, is that we’re only operating part of our engine LOP!

When I show my students how to lean I first check the RPMwill produce a sensible power setting at “best power” (say 65%), because the worst case cylinder would be at 50 degrees rich, or “best power”. By ensuring that cylinder is at 65% (the restwill be less, being either richer or leaner) I can be confident it will not be operating at a high CHT/ICP.

Can any knowledgeable folk offer feedback? After all, I’m the most dangerous person inaviation: I know a little bit, and teach other people using that little bit.