PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2014, 18:53
rutankrd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At a meeting I attended last year, I was quite surprised to learn from a senior executive of MAG that MAN's most underserved destination, despite existing services, was New York, presumably due in part to a higher proportion of O & D traffic. This was taking into account passengers within our catchment area who bypassed MAN to fly from LHR or via other airports, as well as pax flying from MAN but not on our non-stop flights. If AA pulled off JFK (but kept PHL), a single B757 by UAL would surely be inadequate, although they might be tempted to go 2 x daily again (at the expense of IAD? - I hope not) like EDI or introduce a larger a/c. Their J class, albeit with only 16 seats, seems to do well and when I've checked I've not found any significant discounting of fares.
There is a major league market distortion of the UK-NYC market up to 28 flights a day from the South East corner and many with rather large wide bodies 744 and 77W . This is to appease a certain market dynamic however it means a massive over capacity in the back of the bus.
This excess in steerage is dumped via the myriad of internet resellers at stupid fares.

I have to say through I agree with Skips assessment of the AA/US merger something gotta give in the North East Seaboard and would be surprised to see Charlotte return in future years.
Given the current drive to develop the international status of Fortress DFW I kinda think a return here with short cruise/winter season Miami would make more sense -however what do I know.